High fibre foods are key to good health and found in plant foods. It isn’t absorbed through the small intestine but helps food pass through the large intestine.
There are 2 types of fibre; soluble and insoluble.
Insoluble fibre is found in skins, stalks and seeds and doesn’t dissolve in water. Soluble fibre is soft and sticky, it helps slow the absorption of sugar and cholesterol into the body preventing sugar spikes.
High fibre diets have shown to;
- Reduce risk of heart disease
- Reduce risk of colon cancer
- Maintain better gut health
In the video below I explain further some of the benefits of fibre. I also share how much to eat and 5 top high fibre foods to include in your diet.
Other ways to get more fibre in your diet:
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetable each day
- Eat lots of beans, lentil and peas
- Snack on nuts and seeds
- Eat avocados
- Drink fruits and vegetable smoothies
- Choose whole grain foods